Let’s be honest, we really don’t need a reason to drink wine. We all know that no matter what people say, we are going to keep drinking that delicious red (or white) liquid gold. However, some people need a little validation for their choices, and I am here to give it to you. Think about it, you go to someone’s house for the first time and they take you down into their basement that is filled with floor to ceiling bottles of Tequila. I don’t know about you but the first thought that would come to my mind is: Alcoholic? On the other hand, you walk into someone’s basement and it’s filled with floor to ceiling bottles of WINE… Now that’s CLASSY!! Do you see where I am going with this?? Here are my top ten reasons why you should be drinking wine.
- Drinking wine can reduce your chances of getting Heart Disease. The Mayo Clinic has spoken!! Drinking red wine in moderation may help prevent heart disease by increasing levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (the “good” cholesterol) and protecting against artery damage. Bring on the antioxidants!
- Scientists have conducted REAL studies that show wine drinkers have a 34% lower mortality rate than beer or spirits drinkers. While I can’t give up my occasional Jack Daniels, I can assure you I will be doubling up on those glasses of red after a day at the office.
- It can help fight Depression! Wine helps blood flow throughout the brain which keeps the mind clear and focused. Yay Science!!
- Drinking wine obviously makes you look smarter. Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Syrah and Pinot Noir sound incredibly intelligent. Saying those words out loud clearly makes me more sophisticated… Right?
- There is such a thing as Wine Ice Cream… Ice Cream is the most innocent of treats. Eating a couple of spoonful’s of Mercers Wine Ice Cream basically makes you look just as sweet and innocent as Hillary Duff. Nobody needs to know there is 5% alcohol in there!
- One Word: CRAFTS. The possibilities are endless with Wine Corks and Bottles. Not only are you recycling and helping the planet by drinking wine, your first born now has an original, one-of-a-kind crib strictly made out of wine corks. Cheers!
- FOOD. Whether you are adding your favorite wine to enhance delicious recipes or pairing your favorite food to your choice of red or white, food and wine just go together. They were meant to be and you can’t fight destiny.
- You CAN enjoy a great wine under $20. So you can reap the health benefits and not feel guilty about it. A few of my favorites are Boordy’s Classic Riesling, Barefoot’s Shiraz, Robert Mondavi’s Pinot Noir and Little Penguin’s Cabernet Sauvignon. I am also a sucker for more fruity wines, but that will have to make a different list.
- Vineyards. Truthfully, going to a wine vineyard has got to be one of the greatest day drinking adventures ever. Spending my day at Boordy Vineyards with some great friends, my fiancé and a small picnic is always a great time. We always do the tastings even though we know all of their wines better than the back of our own hands. Each of us will buy a bottle and partake in some quality wine time.
- It brings friends together. Some of my girlfriends and I will meet up every couple of months for dinner. You better believe that the first thing we order is a bottle of wine to share. That first bottle of wine turns into a second and if we are really feeling adventurous, that second turns into a third. It makes for great conversation and lots of laughs. It’s promoting happiness!
Well, there you have it. My Top Ten Reasons You Should Be Drinking Wine. As the saying goes, “It doesn’t matter if the glass is half empty or half full, there is clearly room for more wine. “ Or something like that.